Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Time to Say Good-bye

Hello friends,

Lately I've been coming across the same advertisement on the web. Basically, the caption goes something like this: "Look up all your old friends. Find out what they are doing today!" And a link is provided. Well, I don't click on unknown links. And it wouldn't matter anyway, since I don't have any "old friends."

I was the new girl in school, all the way through grade school and high school. I was the girl who was bombarded on the first day.

"So, where are you from?"
"Do you have a boy friend?"
"Who's your favorite Movie Star?"
"What are your classes?"

All these questions, and more like them, were abrupt and always served with a grin. Immediately after I answered the third degree, inevitably the person turned their back on me and talked to their next victim, or a real friend. Sound familiar? Yeah. Those who have lived it can still feel the pain.

As a military wife and Mom, we moved. They moved. In two years, your new best friend was your old best friend, who now lived hundreds or even thousands of miles away. After you've changed your address several times, or you've moved in with Mom and Dad, and you've lost touch, all you have left, if you are truly blessed is a warm memory.

I did make one special friend. We lived across from one another for nearly 8 years. We went through the trials and tribulations of military life, and we remained friends. She lives far away from me, but we still keep in touch.

I guess what I want to express, in this blog-post, is that good-bye is not necessarily a bad thing. Good-bye can be a blessing. A time to rethink your life, to discover who you really are and what you really need. Good-bye can be a time to begin again.

Just remember, when you move, leave, or say good-bye, you may leave everyone but yourself behind. So if you are the problem (and it took me years to learn this about myself), well then you'll be taking your problem with you.

My friends, I hope that you will not give up on yourself or your life. You are worth living for. God loves you, and He wants a relationship with you. You may think that you are alone with your thoughts, but you are not. You are very definitely not alone. Someone is listening, and He is listening with all of His heart.

With love,
Jaye Lewis

 
Email Jaye